Monday, June 26, 2017

No Problem, Just Dump It in the Dumpster!


 “Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand”  (Matt. 7:26).

Hey Gang:  I was in Meijers the other day and happened to come across two very brilliant young men that were in-the-midst of deep discussion.  No, I was not eaves-dropping on their conversation but, while checking out the prices of headcheese and pickled beets, I could not help but overhear their brilliant discussion on marriage.

The first bundle-of-wisdom said to the second: “I hear you’re getting married”.  “Yes, that’s so”.  The first then asked a deep question to the second bundle-of-wisdom: ”How do you know when you are ready to make a decision like that?”  Bundle-of-wisdom number two then responded, “I am not sure but we talked it over and decided to go ahead and, if it doesn’t work out, we will just go our own way.  Now there’s commitment!  Kind of a pre-nuptial agreement based on whether she burns the potatoes.

It reminded me of an ad that appeared in a California newspaper: “Wedding rings and all that goes with it for rent.  It also reminded me that Los Vegas now has a drive-in wedding and divorce service! Is that like ordering a burger at the local fast food joint and if you don’t like it – pitch it? 

And we wonder why marriage today is very similar to a “soup sandwich”.  As I listened to the two bundles-of- wisdom discuss the joys of wedlock, I sensed that Abba Father sits in the heavens and weeps over what his creation has done to His perfection.  God is a covenant God, the Bible’s a covenant book, we’re designed to be covenant people and marriage it designed to be a covenant relationship.  

It is a lifetime covenant-relationship in which “I” becomes “we”, as they work together on issues.  It takes laying-down-your-life for your life-mate, joining together with the strand of three (Eccl. 9:9-12) which is the Holy Spirit and total commitment to live together while you work out your problems.

The bride-of-my-youth and I will soon celebrate sixty years since we were united together as one by her father. Has it been a perfect trip through utopia, as my dear sainted gramma would say. “Heavens to Betsy, no” but this I know, “what God designs He blesses when we enter into covenant with our mate and commit to following His statutes and precepts.



Blessings,


Gramps  

No comments:

Post a Comment