Friday, June 2, 2017

to Believe Is Not Enough!


“You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”  You believe that God is one.  You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.  But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless?” (James 2:18-20).

Hey Gang:  There are many blasphemies surfacing in our world today, even within the church.  If you an Opry Winfrey fan, you get a steady diet of ‘to believe there is only one way to Father God is very narrow and selfish.’  As I read John’s words, “Jesus said, (which should be reason enough to believe), I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but through Me (John 14:6).  Now a brain surgeon or rocket scientist I am not, but that seems pretty clear. ‘One road, only one road, to God the Father through His only begotten Son.’ 

One glorious day fifty-nine years and nine months ago, I met the Cadillac of my life at an altar; we made vows to each other to love, cherish, care for, be faithful to, until death do us part.  On that day I felt in my heart that I could not love her or cherish her more than I did at that moment - but how wrong I was.   I believe and love her for her integrity, her faith, her commitment to her Lord and to me.  She supports me in most things I do, and is a constant source of encouragement.  But is that enough?

I appreciate her, honor her, esteem her but is that enough?  All-of-these things are essential in a husband-wife relationship but, if I do not show the faith that I have in her without works, “I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal” in the relationship.  Are not fixing the leaky pipes, taking out the garbage, laying in enough wood to keep her warm in the winter months and tending to the “Honey Do List” evidence that am I not a clanging cymbal? 

The same is true of our relationship with Jesus.  We may believe in Jesus with all-of-our being but, if we don’t talk to Him, listen for His voice, spend time with Him, and do the things that show that our love for Him requires is more than a few words on Sunday Morning; our relationship with Him will soon become like the hot coal that fell from the furnace to the floor and soon became cold.

Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me” (Matt. 25:45).  As chaplain, I would ask the boys what is the most important word in the English language?  I would receive a multitude of words but not the one that impacts on eternity, the word NOT.  I can think of no more frightening, agonizing word than to hear Jesus say, “I know you NOT”.

Sooo, my young friends, how is your relationship with Jesus this morning?  Have you talked with Him this morning?  Have you opened your heart to His leading this morning?  Have you said to Him. “Here am I Lord, use me!”  If this was the day that you were called home, how would you answer the question- “What did you do with my Son Jesus?

Blessings,
  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment