Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Have You Checked Your Wardrobe Lately?




 “Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature”  (Rom. 13:14). 

Hey Gang:  In my high school years I was privileged to play drums in a pretty good dance band called the Stardusters”.   As I have mentioned before, I was a backward sort of chap who tended to stay in the shadows most of the time, but when I was playing a gig, I was something special. 

Each Friday, Saturday and Sunday night I would put on my maroon cardigan jacket, my blue pegged pants, my Mr. B. Shirt and suede shoes and step out from the shadows.  I was one cool dude!

BUT, at the same time there was an emptiness that continued to bug me deep down inside, when the drums were in their cases and the chic cloths were in the closet.  How many know that when the dance is over there is always the feeling of emptiness that follows until the next dance?  I soon learned that the fancy threads did nothing to fill that vacuum that is just the size of God.

Paul addressed the clothing issue when he tells us to “Clothe ourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ.”  Would Jesus wear a cardigan jacket, pegged pants, Mr. B. shirt and suede shoes.  I think not.  The world’s fashion dictates the way we dress.  We dress to impress. To be accepted was very important to me, as it is with most folks.

Now comes the question: how can I dress myself with the Lord Jesus Christ?  To begin with it has nothing to do with threads and a whole heap to do with attitude.  When I am trying to impress folks by saying “Hey, look at me”, we are on the wrong track and I was firmly entrenched on the wrong track.

Then an amazing thing happened to me, as I was nearing gradation.  I was seeking to find out what was the next step for my life.  Most of our gigs were in bars and night clubs.  On that particular night we were playing at a bar that catered to coal miners and loggers, way up in the mountains.  It may sound strange, but we kept the Star Spangle Banner on the music stands readily available for at some time during the gig, there would be arguments between the factions followed by fights!

And God said, “Is this what you want for the rest of your life”.  From that night on I endured the gigs and looked forward to running out the scheduled reservations.  On the night of the last gig, I packed up the drums for the last time and never opened the cases again.  Perhaps, if there had been praise bands back then, I would still be drumming.

The Bible challenges me not to gratify the desires of my sinful nature; ie who am I trying to impress? What reasons am I doing this?  But to “Seek first the kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33).  We are warned that we can become so wrapped up in self that we no longer see the sin in our lives.  

That night I made a vow to the Lord that I would retire the cardigan jacket, pegged pants, Mr. B. shirt and suede shoes and try the Armor of God on for size.  My challenge to you this morning: take a hard look at your wardrobe! When you put your threads on this morning make sure the Armor of God is in place - You are entering the mission field.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment