Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Do You Have A Legacy?


 “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joint and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). 

Hey Gang:  O yes, I remember it well!  It was January, the year I am not so sure, but I do remember that I had made up my mind to complete the pre-tax filing procedures before I putting my adding machine away for another year.  As I dotted the last “I” and closed the file, I confess I felt pretty good, even a wee bit smug; completing the agony and pain of preparing for the tax man allows a wee bit of smugness.

I had shut the computer down, turned the light off and was preparing to close the day, when one of those thoughts came into my head.  I found myself asking, was that from God or was it from Kermit.  Did you ever have thoughts that pop into your mind that seem to come out of the blue?

I was not sure at the time, if it was a reprimand or a suggestion that I get my act together.  I think I will rephrase that, for I am a firm believer that many folks do a lot of acting and are less sincere in those things that have eternal value.  The thought was very clear and in the form of a question.  Are you more concerned about your earthly bangles and beads and what you are going to have to pass down to your kids, or, are you more committed, to passing down your spiritual legacy to your children?   

Since my kids were no longer living under my roof, the question of “How does one pass their legacy down to the next generations?”  I thought of having them all assemble at my abode once a week or month and doing a Bible study, but did you ever try and get your family together for anything?  That, my friends, is bordering very close to the totally impossible.  I thought that anything in writing was far beyond my level of expertise.  At that time my reading and writing skills were more limited.

But, I decided I would put away the excuses and give the’ writing and sending’ idea a try.   My mailing list was very short, consisting of my kids, their spouses and a couple other of our adopted family. Low and behold, I started to receive comments back from them.  And I found out that God gave me the ability to put onto paper what He fed through me. 

I have always had a bias against electronic devices that have become habit forming for many folks.  I think they have increased communication problems among people and especially family members.  I have never gotten into the smart phone or any other sending and receiving device.  My bias, if you want to say something to get something from me, called me so I can hear the excitement in your voice.  There is a huge difference when I hear someone call just to say “I love you or miss you” carries so much more feeling than to read it on a little square thing that so many people spent hours looking at each day.  I recently heard a person admit that they nearly had a nervous breakdown when they misplaced their cell phone.  To me that borders on addiction.

Well the months turned into years, more than five years now, and the list of folks that tuned in the Gramps Morning Thoughts and What’s Happening Man increased.  Now I close this epistle with a question – what are you doing to pass your spiritual legacy down to your family and friends?


Blessings,    

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment