Friday, March 29, 2019

A Reality Check

“And He was also saying to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the West, immediately you say, ‘A shower is coming’ and so it turns out.  And when you see a south wind blowing, you say, ‘It will be hot today,’ and it turns out that way.  “You hypocrites!”  You know how to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky, but do you not analyze this present time” (Like 12:54-54). 

Hey Gang:  He said, “I don’t believe that stuff”.   He, meaning a daddy who had been court ordered to one of our family workshops due to the many problems within his children in the school setting.   My question, “What stuff?” His response, “That Bible stuff.”  I then asked him, “What Bible stuff do you not believe?”  To which he responded, “O, You know, that Bible stuff. 

He sat throughout the class with arms crossed and scowl on his face saying clearly, “I am here only because the court said I have to be and I have no intention of listening to one thing you say.”  The next week I noticed a difference in this daddy, his arms were not crossed and the scowl was gone.  My question, “What happened to you?” 

He related: “When I got home from class last week my house, and I emphasize house because it was nothing that remotely resembled a home, was in pure bedlam.  It was like the walls were pulsating.  The woofers and tweeters where turned to the mega range and each of the four kids were trying to out shoot it”.  He immediately declared an armistice and a pow wow around the dining room table was called to order.  

He said, “I was astounded when we agreed that the simple principles like respect, honor, responsibility and love were made the code of the house!  Everyone seemed more at and ease and like it was now a home, not just a house.

I tell you that story to set the table for what God has been laying on my heart recently.  I have been watching, with horror, the floods that have decimated Nebraska, and parts of Iowa and Missouri.   The weather reports had been very clear, this storm was going to a whopper.  The weather man referred to it as “A Perfect Storm”.  I could not understand what is perfect about a storm that has the potential to take everything, including the land you live on from you.

As I watched the rapid approach of the “Perfect Storm”, I wondered where the folks who have no relationship with the “Storm Maker” go to seek something or someone to turn down the facets.    It brought to my recollection a time years ago when another predicted ‘Perfect Storm’, this time a hurricane had set its grisly eyes on the outer banks of North Carolina and neighboring states. 

The local pastors, believers in “Greater is He that is in me, than He that is driving that storm” called for the believing family members to assemble on the beech and unite their hearts in corporate prayer against this menace that was about to make life miserable for them.  Even the local newspaper reported that a miracle took place that day, as the storm turned and headed back out to sea.   

Every time I see a ‘Perfect Storm’ I think of what happened that day.  I believe God saw what He wanted to see and steered the storm into a left-turn mode.  I wonder what would have happened in California, when all the fires were devastating the State, if Governor Brown would have declared a day of fasting and prayer maybe Abba Father would have stopped the winds and sent his sprinkling system from the heavenlies.

So, my friends, I ask you, if the “Perfect Storm” were projected to make a visit to you home, where would you turn to for help?   I suspect, as we near the time when the skies are opened and the children of God are called to meet our Lord in the sky, there will be many more perfect storms.   Is it time for a “Reality Check?”

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment