Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Do You Have and Itch You Can't Scratch?


“Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I never forsake you” (Heb. 13:5).  Where in this world can you get such a guarantee?

Hey Gang:  When was the last time you were satisfied?  I mean really satisfied.  Paul wrote in his first letter to Timothy, “Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.  If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content” (6:7-8). 

Satisfied?  I believe most would agree, that is something we are not.  We take a vacation of a lifetime; we satiate ourselves with sun; fun, and good food- but we are not even on the way home before we dread the end of the trip and begin planning another?  We are just not satisfied.


As a child we wished we were teenager’s, as teens we wish we were adults; if we are in middle management, we wish we were in the ivory tower brigade;  If we are blessed with a good job, we wish we were at the top of the ladder.  We are just not satisfied!

There was the story of the woman who sometimes had to choose between needed medication and food but squeezed out enough each month to buy that one pottery ticket that would one day make her fabulously rich.  And low and behold, she hit the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  She got her dream and surely would be contented. 

But, when asked what was the difference between poverty and wealth she said, “Before I constantly worried that I would not have enough money to buy enough food and medications to meet my needs; now I constantly worry that someone will take away my wealth and I will be in the same fix as before.”

I believe most in our world today would say that contentment is a difficult virtue to find.  Why?  There used to a song that said, “I looked for love in all the wrong places”.  I believe that is the malady of our day.  God designed us with a vacuum that is just the size of God, in our chest cavity, and we try and find contentment by putting all the bangles and beads of this world that only irritate us when it does not bring peace into our heart, mind and soul.

Contentment implies satisfaction, rest, and peace, and the only way to find true contentment in this world is through Jesus Christ who said, “Peace I leave with you; not as the world gives to you.  Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful” (John 14:27).

Because -there is nothing on earth that can satisfy our deepest longing.  We long to see God!  The leaves of life are rustling with the rumor that we will see Him one day, face to face – and we won’t be truly content until we do. 

But this I can attest to….as I have advanced in the Golden Years (golden for the medical profession), I have become a wee bit more satisfied.  The best part of my day is the early morning hours when I lock myself away with the Lord and His Word.  Now that my young friends is pure satisfaction!!  Try it, even for five minutes each morning, before you start the busy time of the day. 

It gives us contentment and that fuel and prepares our hearts for driving out the drive into the mission field.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment