Monday, March 4, 2013

How to Handle Anxiety



Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you” I Peter 5:7
 This is one of the great power verses.in Scripture. I suspect Peter was and had been dealing with some alligators in his life went he wrote this.

Hey Gang:  Did you ever wake up in the morning with a knot in your stomach knowing this could very well be a tough day.    As an old air traffic controller, I admit, when the skies were rumbling and the waters were descending from the heavenlies, I knew we were going to be up to our armpits with flight crews depending on me to get them down safely, and I had knots in my stomach. 

Now it may sound strange to you, but, if I did not have those knots in the pit of my stomach as I rode the escalator to the third floor of the Pittsburgh International Airport, it would have been best to turn around and call in for sick leave that day. In the 1960’s Greater Pitt, where I was assigned, was one of the busiest control sectors in the world,   Knots tend to tell me I am mentally on top of the task that lays ahead.

When I hit those times today, when the rubber hits the road, I tend to retreat and fill my tank with David’s words found in Psalm 34:4-5.  I believe David may have had a knot or two in his stomach when he wrote this Psalm.  I find it interesting that David wrote this Psalm when he feigned madness before Abimelech, who drove him away and David departed.

David cried out to God, “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.  They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed.  This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.” Now notice the promise that God sent to those who have committed their heart and lives to Him, “The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him and rescues them”.   (Psalm 34:4,9,10. 
  
That brings me to what I would term as unexpected surprises or hidden blessings that we tend to take for granted.  Did you know that God loves to surprise His kids with unexpected blessings?   And, when that happens, He leans down and whispers, “Hey, I’m still here, even in the midst of the alligator pool and I care for you.  Why don’t you let me handle your tough decisions and you just enjoy this day?”

Soooo, reread that verse once again, “Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you”.  But add Paul’s words in his letter to the Philippians, “Be Anxious  for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God “ (Phil. 4:6).  Note: “…with prayer, supplication and  thanksgiving let God know your needs.”    

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment