Wednesday, May 7, 2014

AH, Come On! Right? - Wrong!


"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4).

Hey Gang, let me give you a piece of fabulous news - it works!  Those that have been with me through the past years remember the problems I had with my D14 Allis Chalmers tractor.  If not I can attest that it was one royal huge pain.  I would get one thing under control only to run smack dab into three others.

Now I don't like to admit it, because most out there have never seen me when I was total frazzled and lost my cool, but it was not safe to be within throwing distance, during some of those battles with this "ghastly beast". 

But let me share the fruits of those battles.  I was having problems keeping the ‘ghastly beast’ running at the end of last year and was sure it was a carburetor problem, so I trudged it up to the repair shop and had it rebuilt.  End of problem, right - wrong.  It ran for ten minutes and then died. 

So, I took all the lines off, blew out them out along with the gas tank and carburetor and put it all together and, hallelujah, it kicked right off.  The problem was solved, right?  Wrong!  It ran for ten minutes and died.  So, I did what any intelligent lad would do, I left it set and decided to change my focus for the day from moving dirt to cutting one of the many trees that have been taken down by mother nature's wrath, then seek someone with a lot more wisdom in such things as repairing ‘ghastly beast’.

Two pulls on the starter cord and the chainsaw roared into action.  I was now on a roll and there was no question in my mind but that I was going to have victory and one or more of the trees would be cut, split, and in the wood pile before the day was over.  Right?  Wrong!

I stopped the chainsaw to reset the log for cutting. When I pulled the starter cord for a restart, you will never guess what happened.  Did I hear the engine roar into action? No!  What I heard was a snapping sound and the starter cord became a soggy noodle.  I had snapped the connecting spring inside the starter mechanism.  No problem, a ‘slight affliction’, yes, but the repair man, with whom I had become friends because of my many contacts with the ‘ghastly beast’ would fix it and I would be back on task in a matter of an hour or so.

Right?  Wrong!  He confirmed I had blown a spring and went to the shelf to get a replacement- only to find an empty spot where such springs were normally located.   No problem, He said, "I will call my competitor who also stocks such items".  It seems there has been a run on such items and he, too, did not have one.  A call to a supplier produced the same results, none on the shelf. 
As I was driving home from the repair shop it dawned on me that I had not hit the tractor with a wrench, kicked the tire, or even uttered angry word toward it; nor when the chainsaw went down did I throw it down the stairs as I might have done in the early battles with the ‘ghastly beast’ and ‘chainsaw". 

Soooo,  my friends, I can attest that James words do indeed work  when we take control and  consider it all joy when I hit the clinkers in the road -for  God is faithful and uses even those experiences to strengthen me and bring some  good out of them.  I had enjoyed some praise music on my radio as I drove to the repair shop, and had a chance to talk with and witness with my friend at the repair shop.      Does that mean I did not feel like throwing the chain saw down the stairs - no - but I did not!


Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment