Friday, May 16, 2014

Satan's Goal - To Sift You Like Wheat!


"Be humble, cast your concerns and cares on Him; be sober of spirit, stay on the alert for your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour"  (I Peter 5:6-8- Hainley rendition)

Hey Gang:  When I was a little squeezer I tried to be an imitator of all my heroes.  Saturday morning was a ritual in my life, I would truck off the movie theater and watch Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger and all the other heroes of that day.  On the way home from the theater I visualized myself as an imitator of those great heroes.  But the agreement with my mom was, I could go to be with my heroes in the morning but the afternoon and chores belonged to her.  It did not take long after arriving home that the imitations went by the board and reality set in.

Is it okay to be an imitator?  Paul said, “If you really want to be great in God’s kingdom then be an imitator of God.”  Paul also wrote, in his first letter to the Corinthians, “For in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.  Therefore, I exhort you to be imitators of me”  (4:15b-15).  Do you think it would be okay to be an imitator of Paul?

Paul also wrote, “Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good” (1 Thess. 5:21).  But notice he laid a solid foundation for this statement, just as he often did in his teaching, by setting prerequisites before giving us the practical application. 

He said, "rejoice always!".  I have learned that 'rejoice always' is an attitude that is controlled by my will.  I can choose to be in an attitude of praise or I can choose to let the adverse circumstances take control of me.  Oh, I wish I had more time to expand on this vital point!

Paul's second prerequisite is the foundation of all we do in our Christian walk, "Pray without ceasing".  I do not believe Paul is talking about the ‘hit and run’ variety of prayer that fits into the tiny holes left in our day planner, but when we give sacrificial time to the Lord.  Oh, I wish I had more time to expand on hits vital point!

Paul's third point is equally tough and requires a deep discipline: "In everything give thanks: "Why?"…for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus".  Do you have times when it is just nigh on to impossible to ‘give thanks?’  I certainly have, but as the Amish man said, “It is at those times we have to have the positive things on file in our soul so we can draw on those victories.”  Oh, how I wish I time to expand on this point!

Paul's fourth and fifth prerequisites are "Do not quench the spirit" and “Do not despise prophetic utterances".  How does one do that? Paul addresses this in Colossians three and it is worth reading weekly. Oh, how I would like to expand on this point!

Sixth, "Examine everything carefully, hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every from of evil".  I mean, why would Paul include that?  Does not every Christian examine everything? Give the bad the boot and only keep the good?  Okay I am being a wee bit factious.  Not every Christian checks and chucks the bad stuff.  Oh, how I would like to expand of this point.

Sooooo,  Paul caps his teaching on how to live very effective lives for Christ with a large, juicy cheery, "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of Lord Jesus Christ" (I Thess. 5:16- 24).  Now my friends it is time to lay aside the cares of the world and expand on what God is saying to you through His Word.


Blessings,    

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment