Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shout Joyfully To The Lord All The Earth


4/28/11
“How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked.  Nor stand in the path of sinner, nor sit in the seat of scoffers!  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.”(Psalms 1:1-2).

Hey Gang:  Time to put your thinking hats on.  Was David different?  Did  God not say “he was a man after God’s heart”?  Why did God say that?  Can you or I be a “person” after God’s own heart? Was that changed when Jesus said I must go so that I can send a comforter that will be with you always?

Was he different than you or I.  I think not.  So how did he become special in God’s eyes.  As I was thinking about this question the Scripture of today came to mind, especially the last part “And in His law he meditates (meaning deep thinking) day and night.” 

Now let’s lay some foundation for deep thinking or meditating.  As a boy he was a shepherd.  When you are out in the wilderness with a flock of sheep, there is not much that can distract you except for a lion or bear once in a  while.  In Psalm 8:4 we find David asking the question “What is man that You take thought of him”.  Would you agree that is a pretty deep subject?  It would be worthy of your time to read Psalm 8 every day until it penetrates deep into your soul.

The point:  One can tell from his Psalms that David was a deep meditater.   Now for another question to ponder:  When was the last time you really meditated on God’s law.  As I prepared this mornings message I hear the television in another part of the house, and two phone calls have come in.  When I walk in the woods I take my cell phone. David was not bothered by such things as our electronic world.  I suspect he spent many hours in deep meditation where only the baas of his sheep or the rustle of the wind through the trees could be heard..

Soooo, my young friends, let me close with another question?  Do you want to know God better – then do as David did, put the sheep to bed and look into the heavens and see the magnificent display of God’s glory in the thousands of stars.  Keep in mind He knows each one by name and I have wonderful news for you, He knows every hair on your head and He wants to have a chat with you but He wants your undivided attention.  Was David special, yes, but not any more special than you.

Blessing 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment