Wednesday, August 17, 2011

And More Choices!


“One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us”. But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?(Luke 23:39-40).

Hey gang, yesterday I talked a wee bit about making choices. One of my favorite sayings is ‘Your values determine your choices and your choices, your destiny’. But as I reread the morning thought from yesterday, I felt like I had finished with an incomplete sentence or thought. Soooo, with your permission I would like to pick up where I left off yesterday.

The absolute bottom line of choices is that God gives eternal choices, and these choices have eternal consequences.

Much has been said about the penitent thief, and it certainly warrants our admiration. But while we rejoice at the thief who changed, dare we forget the one who didn’t? What about him, Jesus? Wouldn’t a personal invitation be appropriate? Wouldn’t a word of persuasion be timely?

Does not the shepherd leave the ninety and nine to pursue the one lost sheep? Did the housewife not sweep the floor until she found the lost coin? Yes, the shepherd did and the housewife did, but the father of the prodigal did nothing.

The sheep was lost innocently. The coin was lost irresponsibly and the prodigal son left intentionally. The father gave him the choice. Jesus gave both criminals the same opportunity.

There are times when God sends thunder to stir us. There are times when he sends blessings to lure us. But then there are times when God sends nothing but silence as He honors us with the freedom to choose where we will spend eternity.

I wish I could say all of my choices were right on and brought glory and honor to God, but that would be one of greater falsehoods of all time. I look back over my life and say “what if”. If only I could make up for some of those bad decisions. And praise God, I can. One good choice for eternity offsets a thousand bad ones on earth.

Soooo my young friends, “But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matthew 6:33)

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment