Monday, August 1, 2011

What Does Your Contentment Meter Read This Morning?


“Make sure that your character is free from the love money, being
content with what you have, for He Himself has said, ‘I will never
desert you, nor will I ever forsake you’”. (Hebrews13:5)


Hey Gang: One of the great lessons I have learned, as I have joined
the older than dirt gang is, that ‘comfort and dull’ is not such a bad
thing. It kind of reminds me of a story that I heard while in the Air force.

An C-130 transport type airplane was lumbering along when a cocky F-16
fighter jet flashed by. The jet jockey decided to show off. (I can
attest that the fighter pilot brigade could be obnoxiously cocky most of the time.)

The fighter jock told the C-130 pilot, “Watch this!” He then promptly
went into a barrel roll followed by a steep climb. He then finished
with a sonic boom as he broke the sound barrier. The F-16 pilot asked
the C-130 pilot what he thought of that?

The C-130 pilot said, “That was impressive, but watch this!” The C-130
droned along for about 5 minutes and then the C-130 pilot came back on
and said, "What did you think of that?” Puzzled, the F-16 pilot asked, “What did you do?”

The C-130 pilot chuckled. “I stood up, stretched my legs, walked to
the back, got a cup of coffee and a Cinnamon roll.”

The moral of the story: When you are young and foolish - Speed and
flash may seem like a good thing! When you get older and wiser -
comfort and dull is not such a bad thing!

Sooooo, my young friends, what say ye? Comfort and dull or tripping
the life fantastic? One brings joy and peace and the other a constant
nagging to do bigger loops and more dangerous barrel rolls.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment