Friday, August 19, 2011

Careful Which Dog You Are Feeding Today!

“Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41)

Hey Gang, I sense God telling me I am not finished with temptation yet. You see I was plagued with temptation throughout my lifetime and much as I do not like to admit it, I lost many of those battles. Several morning messages ago, I introduced you to the black dog and white dog that became an integral part of my life on the day I was born.

The essence of the story: each and every day of my life I must make decisions about which dog I will feed that day. The bottom line - the one I feed will determine my relationship with God for that day. How many of you know we are talking about two diversely different kinds of dogs, trained and obedient or untrained and rebellious.

Hebrews 2:17-18 tells us that Jesus also experience the same temptations that we experience. Notice the verse begins with a “therefore” so we need to take a minute and find out why it is “there fore”. “He (Jesus) had to be made like His brethren in all things”, WHY? So that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of people”.

Do you get the point? Jesus endured the same temptations that we endure so that “He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.”

Sooooo, my young friends, I am probably talking to the choir and your walk is so solid that you can handle all types of temptation. Praise the Lord if that is the truth, and pray for me, a sinner, who is saved by God’s grace and who walks through the valley and shadow of temptation each and every day.

But my 77 years on this old earth has taught me that ‘slue foot’ has nothing to do but dangle big beautiful, scrumptious apples in front of my eyes and tell me ‘no one is looking and after all you deserve it. Hey. Go for it!’ But, while I am ‘going for it’ I need to remember another word from Paul that goes like this, “Careful, for you are going to reap what you sow”. (Galatians 6:7)

Blessings

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment