Thursday, August 18, 2011

Did You Ever Have An "I Can't Live Without It!" Compulsion?


Hey Gang: Did you ever want something? I mean really want something and you would do just about anything to get it? Even something that you know is wrong? On our route home from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, last year, we stopped at a rest area on the West Virginia turnpike.

While there a young man, I would estimate to be around thirty years of age, waddled in, and I mean waddled. I would think that he tipped the scales at more than the 400 pound mark. He made a “bee line” to the ice cream counter and ordered a very special made to order sundae of monumental size.

He was a captive to the simple fact that he could not handle temptation. I am sure, if I would have asked him why he allowed himself to get into that condition, he would have had a multitude of excuses, including ‘I just cannot help myself’. Paul, in his first letter to the Corinthians broke that bubble when he wrote, “No temptation has overtaken you but such is common to man”.

But, we need to understand that there is a prerequisite to overcoming the desire to do those things that are not pleasing to Father God and grieves the Holy Spirit. Paul went on and gave us the key to not giving into the whims of the evil one, “God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it”. (I Corinthians10:13)

Notice Paul’s next comment in verse 14, Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.” You mean when I give in to that ten pound piece of chocolate cake I am giving into an “idol”? I would suggest that is exactly what Paul is saying. Anything that stands between you and bringing honor and glory to Father God is, in Paul’s eyes and the eyes of the writer of this epistle, “an idol”. I talk from personal experience.

Paul also gives us a solid suggestion on how to be an overcomer in verse 24, “Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor”.

Sooooo, my young friends, beware of Slue Foot, the evil one, who is going to dangle an apple in front of you today and try and convince you that “You surely will not die”.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment