Monday, August 22, 2011

The Wonderful Joy Of "Anticipation"!

“There will no longer be any curse, and the throne of God and the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; they will see His face and His name will be on their foreheads” (Revelations 22:3-4)

Hey Gang: I think I have mentioned before, I am the son of a Pennsylvania coal miner which makes me a true - blue red-necked hillbilly. They used to say we lived so far back in the sticks they had to pump sunshine to us and even the hoot owls wore knap sacks. There is a television program titled ‘Dirty, Dangerous, and Low Paying Jobs’. That is a perfect description of coal mining.

Although we were as poor as the proverbial church meeses, my mother always managed to salt away enough money to buy something that we really wanted for Christmas. When I was four or five, I wanted a little yellow truck that had a dump bed on it. For months I dreamed of that truck and counted the days until Christmas morning arrived and I would find the truck under the tree.

And then the day arrived! I jumped out of bed and ran to the tree - only to find there was no little yellow truck with a dump bed under the tree. Pow! Words could not describe my disappointment. But I did find a box with a map inside that told me I should follow the path and there would be a surprise at the end of the trail. I donned my treads and set out on the treasure journey and just as the note said, there at the end of the trail was the little yellow truck!

I learned a lesson that year that has stuck with me for 77 years, there is great joy in anticipation. I believe one of the great sins in our nation today is that parents have taken away the tremendous joy of anticipation by buying too much NOW. And, keep in mind when we do not teach our children the joys of anticipation, they may miss the joys that await them in that place that God prepared for those who believe in Him.

Soooo, my young friends, keep in mind that Jesus is going to come again soon. I pray your anticipation is growing to fever pitch, for I suspect that day may not be too far in the future.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment