Sunday, July 15, 2012

Are you A Hoarder?



"And he would answer and say to them, "The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise." (Luke 3:11)

Hey Gang.  I happened to come across a program on the boob-tube about hoarders.  Their houses were piled to the ceiling with things that appeared to be misdirected garbage can items.  And owners were not about to give the garbage up without a fight.

I do not consider myself to be a collector and certainly do not qualify as a hoarder, by the program standards, but I must admit yesterday I spent the day cleaning my shed and hauled a truck load of junk to the salvage yard; I was rewarded with a check for $46.20.  In the process I gained more space for the things I feel have a purpose and the sheds looks a heap much better, and I feel great.

But as I was in the process of completing the cleaning task, I began to hear a voice in the distance saying, "Hey dude, when was the last time you cleaned the garbage out of your vessel?  With each piece that made it into the back of the truck, He reminded me that our brains can become so filled with the nonsense and yes, even the garbage of the world that He, Yeshua, has a hard time penetrating.

As the day progressed and the sweat rolled on, I found little reminders of what God was saying.  "Look at all those books".  Books filled with this man's opinion and that man's opinions.  Did I not warn you that, if you do not develop knobs in your head that I can hang My word and My ways on, your mind will become so cluttered with garbage there is no room for Me?"

And how about time?  Have you checked to see if the things of the world, that really have no meaning tomorrow, have become a consuming fire in your daily walk?  I mean how long does it take to put your mind in neutral and observe what the world is feeding through that four cornered monster? Now compare that time to the preparing of your spiritual knobs.  Paul tells us in Colossians three that we need to die to self, put off all the things that offend the Holy Spirit and put on those things that God can use to glorify Himself through us. 

And the biggy ending - if you do this, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful."But, notice he also instructs us, "... whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks through Him to God Father". (Col. 3:15, 17).

Soooo, good buddies, check it out.  Are you a hoarder.  Do you fill your mind and heart with the things of the world that have no eternal purpose?  Keep in mind when the rubber hits the road God pulls out of you what you have hung on those knobs in your head to gain victory.

Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment