Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Even in the Midst of a Cemetery



"Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women went out after her with tambourines and dancing. And Miriam sang to them: “Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.”  (Ex. 15:20-21).

Hey Gang:  When I was a ninth grader at good old Keith Junior High School I was also a pin setter at a bowling alley in downtown Altoona, Pennsylvania.  Today the hazards of getting into the pit and resetting the pins, that the heavy's tried to knock clear out of the building, has been replaced by very sophisticated machines that do the job.  

Now I am sure you are impressed with that piece of trivia but, before you get too excited, let me tie that message to what the Lord laid of my heart this morning.   We finished our pin setting at the midnight hour and I would begin my four mile walk home.   Three miles from home I had to make a choice, I could go by way of the streets or cut the final mile in half by cutting through the cemetery. 

Now, I knew in my mind there was no one in the cemetery that would going to get me but, when you are a wee bit on the skittish side to begin with, every sound can be a motivator to get your feet in gear.  A half mile can be a heap of distance, when you have been setting pins for four hours, so I developed a defense mechanism against the ghost and goblins that many think lurk in cemeteries. 

Now, when I hit the cemetery gate I turned on my in-built stereo system and began to sing.  The song was always the same "Jesus Loves me this I know".  And then I would have a discussion with God,  How do I know ? "For the Bible tells me so".  And then I would claim that promise that follows, "Little ones to Him belong".   And would confess that " I, indeed am weak, but You are might and strong".    

Now, I want to make a confession to you, every sound that one hears when walking through a cemetery at one o'clock in the morning and  there is no moon or stars out, can be a motivator to your feet.  Ecclesiastes tells us,"... there is time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance".

 I was not doing much weeping or mourning or laughing nor even dancing but flat our running! I want you to know, you can sing at the top of your lungs while motivating your feet to flat out move! 

Soooo, good buddies,if you find yourself in the midst of a cemetery at the darkest hour, remember Jesus words, "I will never desert you or forsake you". (Heb. 13:5) even in the midst of a cemetery at the darkest hour.


Blessings, 
  Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment