Thursday, July 26, 2012

Are You Listening?


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
The moon over Jerusalem (ICEJ Staff photograph)The Moon over Jerusalem
Today's picture is of a nearly full moon over the city of Jerusalem. It reminds us of Isaiah 24:23; "Then the moon will be abashed and the sun ashamed, for the Lord of hosts will reign on Mount Zion. 


"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "this is the way, walk in it" (Isaiah 30:21).

Hey Gang: I don't know about you, but personally, I believe there are times when God is far too quiet.  When I am in the midst of alligators I want God to come and drain the swamp- right now. 

I wonder if Daniel, when he was in the pussy cat cage, felt the same way, or how about the three Hebrew kids in the fiery furnace?  I suspect Joseph did some crying out to God when he was the jail house for something that he did not do.

As I pondered this question this morning, I kind of got a guilty conscience, for there are times when I feel that God is on vacation or perhaps not as up-to-speed on what is happening in my life, as I want Him to be.  Time for a reality check!

For the past several years I, and the bride of my youth, have been involved in volunteering at The Voice of Martyrs, a ministry that provides support services for  persecuted believers around the world .  The first trip to Bartlesville, the home office of the ministry, was a eye opening learning experience that led to a deep feeling of unworthiness. 

I learned that I did not have a clue to what standing on the promises of God really meant until I read the accounts of what folks in various parts of our world endure.  I had read of persecution but it never really penetrated.  I mean each day the sun came up at my house and my chances of even having someone take me to task, because I believed in Jesus as Lord of my life, was very remote.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have barely reached the first rung of the ladder in 'trusting and obeying" but I have learned a lesson or two about what God meant when He said, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you" (Psa. 32:8) and "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Pro. 3:5).

I wonder if Daniel was concerned when he was surrounded by hungry felines?  I think I would have been.  But notice his response to the king, "My God sent His angel and shut the lions mouths and they have not harmed me" (Dan. 6:22).  We find the same protective covering over the Hebrew children and Joseph, for God had a far greater plan for their lives because they were obedient to His calling.

Soooo,   Are you like me?  Do you sometimes wonder why God does not send us a God-O-Gram with clear instructions?  Oh, but He does.  Jeremiah wrote "Call on me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know" (33:3).  Isaiah wrote, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying "This is the way, walk in it." (30:21). "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God(Romans 10:17)
Blessings,

Gramps

P.S.  Just a note to tell you God is perfect in always and on time with His responses.  But there are times when the guy in the mirror is out in left field many times when the chips begin to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment