Friday, October 10, 2014

Is This the Toughest Time of your Life?


"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all" (Psalm 34:19).

Hey Gang,    It seems that every place I go and every person I meet says the same thing "this has been the toughest year of my life!"   Thinking back of my years of sojourn I do not believe I would place this year at the toughest of all year's list, but it certainly does merit consideration.

There is no question that we are in that time when men's hearts are failing them for fear.  These are surely the days described by Franklin Graham as "the last hours".   It is a time when we need to keep our spiritual armor honed and remain securely tucked under the wings of the Lord.     

I have been plagued with a sleight affliction that the medical profession cannot tell me what it is.  So I tell them what it is - it affects every muscle in my body and when the weather is not in the sunny and warm range, I can point out most of the muscles in my body to anyone who is interested in learning more about anatomy.

Now, on days like today when it is foggy and wet and you can feel the moisture in the air, I tend to get into a pity party mode.  ‘Why me Lord?]  And, in most cases, God sends someone across my path in a wheel chair or an infirmity that restricts them to a rocking chair. And that puts the pity party to bed once again and gets me moving - cutting wood or some other physical activity that most folks my age cannot do.   

When I really get down I tend to turn to a good buddy who set me on the right path.  If you are dealing with some kind of depressive state today I would suggest you heed the words of Job: 
"Behold I cry, Violence!"  But I get no answer; I shout for help, but there is no justice.  He has walled up my way so that I cannot pass; I shout for help, but there is no justice.  He has put darkness on my paths.  He has stripped my honor from me and removed the crown from my head.  He breaks me down on every side, and I am gone; And He has uprooted my hope like a tree.  He has also kindled His anger against me and considered me as His enemy" (Job 19:7-11).  
Does it sound like Job was in the dumpster?  One could get that idea but, after reading the whole book of Job I came to the conclusion that everyone around Job was in the dumpster but Job had his head screwed on right. 

Soooo, After giving a dissertation which is titled "everything is against Him" (verses 1 through 22 of chapter nineteen), Job clears away the cobwebs and states very clearly and with power, "As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take His stand on the earth" (Job 19:25-27).  Having a problem today, then know your Redeemer lives and stands ready to come along side and walk with you through the valleys and shadows.

 "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knows those who take refuge in Him"    (Nahum 1:7).  

Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment