Friday, October 3, 2014

When a Catharsis is a Miracle in the Making


"The Lord is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble, And He knows those who take refuge in Him" (Nahum 1:7).

Hey Gang, Do you know there are times when a potential disaster is really a miracle in disguise?    Well, let me share an experience that took place right here in the basement of my house that explains what I mean.   We had been in Chicago for two days and upon returning there were normal chores that had to be done; one of the chores consisted of filling the water jars in the basement.

No big deal!  I had connected a hose to the inlet off the well which allowed me to fill the jugs.  Why do I do that?  So that we have drinking, coffee and cooking water that by passes the water softener.  And why by-pass the water softener? To eliminate the salt from our diet.

I had completed this chore hundreds of times, since moving into this house ten years before, but this time was very, very different!   I turned the valve on and was immediately soaked from head to toe.  Within moments I was kneeling in two inches of water and the three and a half horse power pump in the well was doing a magnificent job of soaking everything within ten feet.  Fortunately, I did not run for help but kept very calm and carefully forced the faucet cover back into the faucet opening and applied all the pressure my body had in it. 

And at the same moment yelled at the top of my lungs “Jean” quick.  A clamp solved the immediate problem.  Jean then asked a question that has become fairly common around our house when a crisis hits the fan, “Shall I call Gary?” 

Now, Gary is a neighbor but he is far more than a neighbor – he is a Godly-servant who continually bails me out.  She called and learned Gary was on his way out of town, but being the servant he is, he turned his truck around and sped home to pick up his tool box, water vacuum and needed items to repair my crisis.  Within the hour Gary had come and the faucet was replaced and the water was cleaned up. 

Now for the miracle! As I mentioned, we had just arrived home from Chicago – if the faucet would have broken while we were gone, we would have arrived home to three foot of water in the basement.  Can you get a mental image of what the Christmas displays in our basement would have looked like under water?  Hey, pass the snorkel!

The point of the story, “God makes all things work to His good – if we are locked into His power supply”. 

Sooooo, take it from a salty eighty-one year old,  the next time it appears that you have a real live catharsis building, ask God how He is going to handle it.  And then calmly respond to His leading.  It works every time.  Keep in mind that His promise to His children is He will never leave you or forsake you.  Is that not awesome?  

Blessings, 

Gramps



No comments:

Post a Comment