Friday, July 22, 2016

Joy Verses- Part Three

 Read it again: ““For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart when you search for Me with all your heart” (Jer. 29:11-13).

Hey Gang:  Say after me- These things I have spoken unto you that my joy might remain in you, and your joy might be full (John 15:11).  Did you say it aloud with gusto?  Come on try it again – this time like you were at a football game and your team was winning.  Now, connect it to the Scripture of the day and know God has a plan for you this very day and is waiting for your willingness and deep desire to fulfill that plan. 

AS I have been researching the word  ”joy”,  I have found it is intricately  tied to the other attributes of the gifts of the Spirit.  God has also made clear that each of the gifts are equal in importance and, when we allow one of the gifts to erode, it opens the door for the enemy to develop a fifth column within our hearts and soul. 

Let me put some meat around that statement.  I have come to the conclusion that failure of a marriage relationship does not begin with lack of love- because love is a decision.  I choose to love you but I have a far greater problem in liking you when you fail to respect me.  One of the first danger signs of a failing marriage is the lack of joy.  This shows in a lack of patience and peace departing the relationship.   Gentleness, kindness and goodness follow suit into the trash can.

I believe John Smalley addressed this very issue with his Love Bank thesis:  That, if we are not in a constant depositing-mode into the Love Bank.  When a hole begins to develop in any one of the gifts   of the spirit, there will not be the assets in the bank to draw upon to quickly repair the damage.  It is not unusual to find marriages that have come unglued- not because of lack of love, but rather because there is no gentleness, no self-control, no kindness or any one of the gifts of God’s Spirit. 

Well, I could go on for a day or two on this subject but that is not where God seems to be taking me this morning.  But one point that should be mentioned when looking at the Love Bank thesis: when the alligators are rising and the rubber is hitting the road, keep in mind that God can only pull out of you what you have put in!  The logo of the banking industry “No deposit, No return” is certainly true.

We live in a time of universal depression.  More shrinks and counselors of various shapes and sizes than we have preachers and teachers of the Word.  More pills for depression are consumed than vitamins. 

Did you ever notice that the news broadcasters are deliverers of doom and despair? I call them the ‘but brigade’.  They report the stock market went up today but cannot leave it thee – they must add ‘but’ it is forecasted to go down.  The economy is good ‘but’ hang on folks for it is surely going to come down. 

We had the privilege of volunteering at a retirement village for missionaries who had spent more than thirty years of their lives in Africa.  Many had broken bodies and their strength had ‘got up and went,’ but there was a joy on that campus that surpassed human understanding. They were all pray-ers!  When one of the saints passed away, the Chaplain made this comment, “The people here finish well”.  I pray I will finish well.

As I close this epistle for the day, let me give you a question to chew on.  Do you think Paul was a man of joy?  When we read Romans and Corinthians he is bold and even confrontive.  In the epistles we find him in a teaching mode.  In Timothy and Thessalonians, he becomes a prophet and paints a picture of the Lord coming in glory.

But interwoven throughout all his writing we find a message of assurance that is ours in Christ Jesus.  His key to joy- “Don’t be conformed to the world, but be transformed”.  How? “By the renewing of your mind”.  Why?  “So that we may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect” (Rom. 12:2).

I really like the picture of Jesus in the Eagle Village Chapel.  It shows Jesus with His head back and laughter fills the air.  That is the Jesus I believe the little children and I want to be around.   
Blessings,

Gramps




No comments:

Post a Comment