Monday, July 25, 2016

One More TIme - Joy vs the Grumps! Part Four


One more Time:   For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart when you search for Me with all your heart” (Jer. 29:11-13).

Hey Gang:  Say after me: “For you will go out with joy and be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands” (Isa. 52:12).  Did you say it aloud with gusto?  Come on, try it again – like you had just been declared the winner!   Now, once again, connect it to the Scripture of the day and know God still has a plan for you this very day and is waiting for your willingness and deep desire to fulfill that plan.

Okay, I confess, I am trying to drive a couple Scripture verses into your computer hard drives, for I do believe with all my heart we are well established onto a road of woe and will need as much Scripture, filed in our hard drives that will carry us through the coming very tough days.  The secret is out- that has been my intention all along-  I wonder how successful I have been.  

 I suspect it has been an exercise much like the seed planting parable – some fell on rocky soil and did not take root, some among thistle and were forced out, and some feel on the road way and were trampled to death, but, I pray fervently that some fell in good soil and has taken root and growing.

Picking up where I left off in the last blog; What say ye?  Was Paul a man filed with joy?  There are some who do not feel so but how could you read Philippians and come away believing that he was not.   As I read and reread the letter to the Philippians, I am more convinced that Paul was `totally sold out to Christ” and one cannot be totally sold out to Yeshua without being filled with ‘joy’.   He did say, “For me to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21). 

I believe with all my heart it is when we come to that point, in our walk with the Lord, that we begin to understand the “bond-servant” relationship with Jesus and we come into the “fullness of the Lord”.
Paul had come to the point where all believers must come – if we are going to be followers of Christ we must surrender lock, stock and barrel to Him.  It is then, and only then, that Christ is going to produce in us the glory that God designed for us.

As I read Philippians, one of the things that sticks out is Paul’s reference to ‘joy’.  I believe one can say that is the focus of the entire book.  There is no question one of the baseline fringe benefits of the Christian walk came into being when the veil of the Temple was rent from top to bottom and gave each of us direct access to the Throne Room of God. Paul made it clear that there is much joy in walking the Christ-filled walk.

In 1:3-4 Paul refers to the joy of Christian prayer“I thank God in all my remembrance of you always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you”.

In 1:18 He reminds us that there is great joy in Christ being preached.  To Paul there was no greater joy than to “Go into all the world and preach the Good News”.  (Matt. 28:19-20).

In 1:25 he refers to “joy in the faith”.  There is the joy of knowing that I am a ‘King’s Kid” and for “me to live is okay but to die and be with the Father” is gain.  Morbid? I think not.  Life on earth is short, and then off to eternity.  Is it not great for our hearts to be filed with joy in the knowing that we will one day be in His presence for all eternity?

In 2:2 Paul refers to the “joy of knowing that we are united not only with God but have the support of the body of Christ around us”.  I believe there is a sadness in Abba Father’s heart when He sees such disunity among those who say that are part of God’s family.

In 2:17 He declare that “even if I am being poured out as a drink offering….I rejoice and share my joy with you all”.

In 2:28 Paul declared there was joy of receiving news of loved ones, and in verse 2:29 he gives thanks for the joy of Christian hospitality.

In 3:1 Paul refers to the ‘joy’ in being a man of Christ.  His creed, ‘rejoice always and continue to rejoice’ no matter what the circumstances, that we consider it joy when we encounter trials and tribulations for, as James tells us, we grow stronger and more prepared for battle through experiencing stress in our lives.  We have God’s Word that “He will not let us be tempted beyond that which we can endure”.  ( I Cor 10:13) Is that not reason to shout hallelujah.

And in verse 4:1 is the joy of the man who won a soul lo Christ.   He referred to them as his “joy and crown”. 

Well, my friends, this turned out to be a wee bit lengthy, but it was time to wrap up the subject of joy and rejoicing and move on.  I pray my time was well invested and the series opened your eyes and understanding of being an overcomer.  Keep in mind JOY is a DECISION, and it is an irrevocable law of God – when we put the grungies to bed and turn loose our joy – our spirits rise and soar!!

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment