Saturday, July 6, 2019

Detour -Part 2


“And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  Therefore, I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficult ties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor. 12:9-10).

Hey Gang, Research completed, and plan in place, it is time to move to phase two of this treatment process - implementation!    The agreed-to plan includes a two-part program: first, through the use of chemo therapy and radiation they will attack the tumor with the intention of shrinking it; next, go in surgically to remove the tumor, if it is still an issue.

The options were Grand Rapids verses Reed Center Cancer Center.  The treatment program requires chemo one day a week for five weeks and five days a week for radiation.  In essence, this meant driving 140 miles round-trip five days per week, or 26 miles five days a week for five weeks.  If we could not get into Reed City, which we had been informed might be the case, and had to drive to Grand Rapids five days a week - there would not be much time left over for the finer things of life.

 Up to this point there was not much time for wringing of hands, and woe is ‘me -ing.’  I was now home in my Rehoboth, adjusting to a new life-style.    Let me tell you, folks, that tube sticking out of my abdomen, that we feed twelve hours a night, tends to even  interrupt every facet of your day.  We are just over two weeks into the feeding-tube gig and are learning how much of our lives are built around three-meals-a-day format.  

 I have always felt one of the greatest gifts that God gave us at creation was our ability to smell, taste, hear and see.  Today, when you bite down on that juicy steak, take a moment and thank Father God for your ability to taste.  I look forward to the day they say, ‘time to put the feeding tube to bed’ and send me out on my own – it’s off to my favorite ribs place for a gigantic plate of ribs - well maybe not the first day!!

So, my friends, that is a brief overview of my past month of woes, but that is not the real story.  A month or more ago, I awoke one day with a melody in my mind, heart and soul.  I did not have a clue what the words were until we happened, notice “WE HAPPENED”, do you think things just happen?  A singing group that we have enjoyed many hours of their ministry put the missing words to the melody.

Now turn off all the electronics and focus your heart, soul and mind on these words: “In the presence of Jehovah, God Almighty, Prince of Peace, Troubles Vanish, Hearts are mended, in the presence of the King”.    This morning, as I was waking, there it was again.  Do I believe God was preparing me for the announcement, “Kermit, you have cancer!”  Yes! with all my heart! 

Could He have prevented it? I have chosen not to go there but rather have enjoyed reviewing the many times when I really needed a miracle in my life and God did not let me down.    And if He provided miracles in the past to meet my needs, I have utmost confidence His will will be done in this detour in my path.  

Perhaps the greatest miracle of all has already established itself in my heart and soul.  As the bride-of-my-youth would verify, when the rubber-hits-the-road experiences came, the anxiety level would rise at the same measure of the crisis I was dealing with.  But this has been so very different.  When they said, “You have cancer.” My heart said, “My God is greater than cancer.”  The story of the three kids in the fiery furnace came to mind when they said, “Our God is greater than your furnace, but even if it is not His will to protect us, we know in whom we believe and He will not forsake us.” 
   
The miracle? I am at total peace! I am in the palm of my Lord’s hand and His will is going to be done in this detour through the wilderness.  I am in the presence of Jehovah.
So, my friends, are you being shaken today?  God said, as the clock winds down everything that can be shaken will be shaken.  But He also said to Paul who had a thorn in the flesh, “My grace is sufficient to carry you through”.   

If you are focused on the truth that you are in the presence of Jehovah, who is God Almighty, who is the Prince of Peace, who make troubles vanish, who mends hearts, you are truly in the presence of the King!! 

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment