Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ask And Ye Shall Receive!


“Ask, and it will be given to you, seek, and you will find, knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened”. (Matthew 7:7-8)

I like my tractor. Notice I said “I like my tractor.” I did not say I love my tractor. There is nothing made with human hands that I love. I love my Lord and I love the bride-of-my-youth, I love my family and I love you. Hey, wait a minute, you do not even know who I am or what I am about?

True, but I learned a very important lesson that has removed much of the disappointments of life when a friend or foe does something that offends me. I learned that ‘Love is a decision’. I choose to love you in spite of the circumstances, no matter what they are. Does that cover disappointment? Not always.

And when and why did I learn this lesson? In the formative years of the Village, we were not only the exulted rulers of the program but also served as house parents in a home for sixteen very hyperactive boys, four live-in staff and my family of six. How many know there may be times when the anxiety level might reach the mega range?

Sanity required a change in my tendency to be as hyper as the boys. So, with the help of the Holy Spirit and the prayers of the grandma prayer brigade, I developed a game plan which included several very important ingredients that just might make your life more peaceful.

First, I had to learn to slow down my reaction time. This one probably was my number one defense. I only responded after I had looked at all the options and my blood-pressure was under control. The second was I learned never raise my voice except when dealing with Scrap Iron, the Village donkey.

I learned that if I was going to teach the daddies of the kids we were living with to be loving daddies, I had to learn what Ephesians 6:4 really meant, “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger”.

Sooo, my friend and neighbors, do you want your witness to be a powerful weapon against Satan and his minions? Then love God with all your heart, love your neighbor with all of your being and love yourself, knowing you are a creation of God. Oh yes, don’t forget to slow down your reaction time and never raise your voice in anger.

Blessing

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment