Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Tongue Can Be A Fire!

Hey Gang, I admit it. I am a die-hard John Wayne fan. If he were alive and well today and decided to run for president, I would be first in line to support him. Today, I find it hard to find movies or DVD’s that can pass muster to my morals and standards. So when I feel like relaxing in front of the “Boob Tube” I tend to reach for the Rooster Cogburns, True Grits or one of the many John Wayne movies I have in my library.

In Rooster Cogburn who costarred with another favorite actor of past years, Audrey Hepburn. Rooster tended to be a little loose with his drinking and words, to which Audrey responded "A wise old owl lived in an Oak; the more he saw the less he spoke: the less he spoke the more he heard, why can't we be like that wise old bird?"

We hillbilly folks had a saying that is a wee bit different but yet the same, "It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt".

Jesus gave a stern warning when He said, "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day-of-judgment. For by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:36-37) Every careless word, Lord? Is that not a wee bit scary?

Paul in his letter to the Ephesians also had something to say about careless words, "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."

Solomon, a man filled with wisdom wrote, "Words from the mouth of a wise man are gracious, while the lips of a fool consumes him." Gramps says, engage brain before opening mouth!

Soooo my young friends, what words will you utter today? Will they be words that bring honor to your heavenly Father? As the old hillbilly said, "Choose your words wisely, for you may have to eat them." And I might add, they are bitter, indeed!

Blessings

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment