Thursday, November 10, 2011

Do You Have A Buzzard Resting On Your Door Step?





Why are you so downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”  (Psalm 42:5).

 Hey Gang: I found a neat easy to read little book by Stan Toler titled The Buzzards Are Circling, But God’s Not Finished With Me Yet!  From the moment I opened it I knew I was going to like it.  The print was easy to read, the chapters were very short and Mr. Toler wrote with a sense of humor.  Not being the best reader in the neighborhood, I tend to look for books like that.

We all have times when the buzzards seem to congregate on our fence post.  As I write this, a flock of buzzards is flying in formation over the Hainley house.  A grandchild with cancer, another with feet problems, other grands with issues, a daughter in the midst of a very difficult situation and a son with a medical need.

Add to that, when we arrived home from camping, I found the heavy rain had found a way to penetrate into the basement of my house. Years ago, after losing two boys in a boating accident, a friend of mine pulled me aside and said, “This too shall pass”. 

I have learned, in my tenure on this old earth, that buzzards will always be around seeking ways to penetrate our peace. BUT we have a lot to say about how long they will be allowed to rest on our fence post! That is, if we use our greatest weapon against them, namely the ‘power of God in our lives’. 

True, when the buzzard first arrives we tend to try and out muscle him with our own strength.  Unfortunately that does not always work and we finally turn to the One who said, “Don’t sweat it, I will never leave you or forsake you”.  
I have a neat ditty on my office wall that has traveled with me for many years and given me a degree of peace when the buzzers are congregating.  The last line says it all- “Rest my child.  If you need to contact Me, I am only a prayer away.”  Jeremiah put it this way, “Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and might things, which you do not know.”  (Jer. 33:3).

Soooo, be advised, it is not a question of “if” the buzzards will come calling but when, and what you will do about them?  You can try a multiplicity of ways to rid your fence posts of the creatures, but only one works every time, “I AM the way, Call on Me and I will answer!”
Blessings,

Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment