Monday, November 14, 2011

There is a Sadness IN my Heart















“And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Rom. 8:28);  “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute  bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! (Isa. 5:20).

Hey gang: As a little squeezer one of my favorite memories of my past centers of those trips to a place called the Ivy-side amusement park.  It was in a place that was very special to me called Juniata Gap.  A trip on the Rolla-coaster was an indescribable delight to this pint sized kid and a trip down what was to me a gigantic water slide in the massive pool a memory that I shall never forget.

And then the tragedy of all tragedies happened, the amusement park closed its door for the last time and the property sold to a University.  I will never forget that day, it was like someone dumped ice water over my entire body.  It was a sadness that I thought would never be succeeded by any other experience.
But that is no longer true.  My heart is filled with anguish and pain today because that university, that also became a great love in my heart was Penn State.   I remember many times when we drove up to “Happy Valley” just forty miles over the mountain from Altoona, my home town, and enjoyed the beauty of the valley where the main campus is located and  how I longed to one day be able to be a Nittany Lion fan as a student.

I prayed Lord, how can you make this work for your glory, how can you turn this evilness into something good.  And then Saturday came and in Happy Valley.  In football seasons the world stopped and the gridiron became the only thing that existed.  The question from the outside world was “should the game be played”.  But I believe God had already prepared the way for His healing process to begin. 

As the Nittany Lions came on the field they did not run on as usual with their beloved coach in the lead, they came locked armed to show ‘Yes, there was a tragedy here’ but we are not going to lay down and allow Satan to use it as an albatross around our necks.  The student body had made a massive and wonderful decision, they would not wear white as a sign of Nittany Lion Power but blue as a sign that we come before you Lord with a united contrite heart and compassion for those who have been wounded.

And then the high point of that afternoon in Happy Valley, as the captains approached the center of the field for the traditional coin toss both sidelines were cleared as both players and coaches ran to the center of the field where they embraced the opposition and then all two hundred of the gridiron warriors from both sides bowed before the Lord seeking that He would take this hideous transgression and make it work for His good.

Yes, my heart is heavy this morning but the sun is shining through the window and I believe with all my heart that God began the process of healing in Happy Valley on Saturday.  Is that not the wondrous beauty of being a child of God and knowing that He can take even the grossest of our errors and use them for His glory?
Blessings,
Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment