Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving - Careful With Those Gornics (Hillbilly word for a moderate sized stone)





“But when they persisted in asking in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” (John 8:7).

Hey gang:  I wanted to move on from the “Sadness in my heart” and “What the World Needs now” morning thoughts to one of joy and gladness.  We are approaching that time of the year when our hearts turn to the wondrous things God has done, and continues to do for us.  But again, I sense God would like to see some closure in my heart for what has happened in Happy Valley.

I must confess that when I think of the tragic events of the past several decades in Happy Valley it tends to send my blood pressure off the Richter Scale.  It is times like this when I want God to say it is okay for me to become a Mt Vesuvius and blow my top? 

But the answer is always the same, “Not your business!” Remember, “You are not to judge so that you will not be judged.  For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.” (Matthew 7:1-2).

Does that ease the pain that wells up in me each time I hear another news report of the dastardly deed?  In no way.  But, note the verse that follows the Scripture of the day, “Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying “I am the Light of the world, he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life” (John 8:12).   

I recently heard a discussion between several guru’s who carried the title of ‘authority’ in Arab and Muslim affairs.  It resembled a conversation between a conservative and liberal where they could not agree on whether they were standing or sitting.  I do not remember much about what was said that night, but do remember one point that penetrated my boredom .“We need to pray that the spirit of Allah be broken in the lives of those held in bondage.”

Soooo, if there is a moral to this epistle today it is don’t’ reach for a gornic.  Do not judge. Let God be God. 

Blessings,
Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment