Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fear Is Not God’s Way







“But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you;  when you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched.  Nor will the flame burn you. “  (Isaiah 43:1-2).

Hey Gang:  Fear is not God’s way - but, I can in no way say I have been fearless in any way. Overconfidence has never been one of my long suits.  I have always had a tendency to look at the bills before income and bank balance.   Potential defeat has always hung more securely around my neck than feelings that all will work out well.  The uncertainty of the future has always been an albatross that lurks in the shadows.   I suspect growing up in the depression years might have something to do with that.

I can attest to the fact that fear can zap your enthusiasm, your strength, take your joy from you, destroy your peace and stomp the spring out of your step.   Yet, God promises us that no matter how hot the fire may get, through His power and strength we can face it without fear.

But in my years since accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior I have learned that His ways are the only way.  Since He created me, He knows what it takes to fix me.  Yes, I continue to have fears when things do not go as I hoped they would, but I now have a defense against the fear
attacks.  

I have it pasted on the wall of my study, in my Bible and etched on the inside of my brain, “Give it to God” and take up my cross daily and follow Him.  I have learned to sing that familiar phrase,“Trust and obey, for there is no other way”.  In essence I try to find someone who is worse off than me and help them carry their cross.

 I learned that from a little boy who one day saw his elderly neighbor crying and crawled up in his lap.  When asked what he said to the neighbor, the boy said, ”Oh, I just helped him cry!”

Sooooo, young warriors, keep your antennas up and your peepers open, for we know not when God is going to run someone across our path that we need to sit and cry with.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment