Friday, October 12, 2012

A Yearning In My Heart




"I will Sing the Wondrous Story - I will sing the wondrous story of the Christ who died for me, How He left His home in glory For the cross of Calvary.  I was lost but Jesus found me, found the sheep that went astray.  Threw His loving arms around me, Drew me back into His way.  He will keep me till the river rolls its waters at my feet, Then He'll bear me safely over, where the loved ones I shall meet.

Hey Gang: Question: "If you were told that you were not allowed to have a Bible but could  have any other book, what would you choose?"  The old grey haired minister remarked, "A hymnal from yester year.
Now hear me, I do not have a problem with the new contemporary music that has captured the hearts of many responsible for the worship and praise times in our churches.  Some have referred to the music of today as the 7/11 variety, where you sing seven words eleven times. 

But there is yearning in my heart to hear the old power hymns that I learned as a child sitting beside my parents.  I also confess that there are many Sundays when I do not feel I have been in a worship service and have praised My Lord.    There are Sunday's when I did not sing one song.  Not because I do not want to praise the Lord in song, I simply do not know the songs that are being sung.

Okay, call me a grouch but before you condemn me to the 'older than dirt club' let me make a point to two.  One of my favorite songs from my past is "A Mighty Fortress is our God".  Look at the words of the first verse, A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing; Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing: For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe; His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate, On earth is not his equal.  I loved to hear the men sing "A Might Fortress is our God."  It entered my heart and stuck!

My mother's favorite hymn, and one I heard my dad sing many times wa,s "In the Garden"  I find myself singing this message as I drive down the road or on the tractor cutting the grass..  "I come to the garden alone.  While the dew is still on the roses.  And the voice I hear, Falling on my ear.  The Son of God discloses.  And He walks with me and He talks with me.  And He tells me I am His own.  And  the joy we share as we tarry there.  None other has ever known. He speaks and the sound of HIs voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing.  And the melody that He gave to me, within my heart is ringing."

When I hit one of those days when the clinkers are piled up to my armpits I sing out to the Lord, "Jesus Loves Me This I know, for the Bible tells me so, or This Little Light of Mine, Let it shine. 

Amazing Grace reminds me and assures me that "He saved a wretch like me".  Wow, I need to hear that in this day when all is being shaken;  and the fabulous promise that "grace will lead me home".

Soooo,  I pray you will not think too harshly of me for not shouting from the roof tops how great are the new words and music that fills our sanctuaries, but when I sing, "On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross, the emblem of suffering and shame, I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain"  it resonates deep into my soul.

  Blessings,

  Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment