Friday, October 19, 2012

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."



Jesus said, But I say to you, love your enemies,, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" (Matt. 5:44).

Hey Gang:  "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." That, my friends, is one of the bigger lies in the universe.  Let me share this tragic piece of balderdash from someone I know very well.  I was seven years of age,  had buck teeth,  was skinny as a rail,  a hillbilly kid from a very poor family, transplanted into the big city, and my name was KERMIT!  I have the scars to prove that words,  indeed, cause deep pain and agony to the receiver of those hate filled remarks.



We have heard a great deal about bullying in our school system.  I have got news for all of you who are naive in this matter and perhaps were fair-haired and did not stand out in any way, in your growing up years.  As you can see I was not one of the lucky ones.  I always felt that I had a bulls eye on my back. 

Perhaps that was preparation for what God was going to do through me - being a shirt tail to hand onto for young folks who were not fair-haired and did not stand out in anyway.  Does that mean there is no bullying in the latter years of life?  That too is balderdash.   Have you watched the news later.  We have two aspiring statesman trying to convince us they are smart enough, experienced enough, mature enough and have the spiritual backbone to run our country.

And how do they show all of those talents - by bullying the loyal opposition.  One might believe, by action and deed of the Belt Way Gang, one of the criteria for acceptance is to be callous in nature and adept at closing one's mind to the true needs of those they serve.

The 'Sword of the Lord' has much to say about bullying.  I like James' counsel on the subject when he describes the perfect man: "For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he  says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well". (James 3:2).  He goes on and describes the tongue as a fire, "the very word of iniquity, that can defile the whole body" (vs. 6).

Sooooo,  let me close with the person who has traversed through my life and is incapable of bullying.  She happens to be the bride-of-my-youth.  We have been having phone problems for several days and she has spent literal hours trying to find the one person who understands and can help with out malady.   Frustrated, yes, even angry, but did she raise her voice or become belligerent in any way - not in your sweet bippy.  Most of the time she ends up in conversation  with those I would call antagonist and the Spirit of God radiates through her words.  I shall keep trying!

 Blessings, 
 Gramps

P.S. A Proverb from the Plain People: "Where ever we go, God is there, whenever we call, God is listening, whatever we need, God is enough".  William Barkley ascribed Jesus' Parables as "swords to stab men's minds awake".

No comments:

Post a Comment