Friday, October 5, 2012

Are You Sometimes a Chip Off The Old Block?



"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made know to God" (Phil. 4:6)

Hey  Gang, Anyone out there, beside me, that picked up a trait or two which qualified you to be a "chip off the old block"?    I think I may be a wee bit like my daddy.  He had the unique ability to be able to take two pieces of junk and make it into one piece  that worked.   I have found, in my older years, that I, too, have some of those hidden traits.  But, I also notice that I picked up a trait or two from 'mine Papa' that requires some serious prevention practices.

I think I am more like my Momma.  Some ways not so good but in other I am willing to brag about.   If one were to describe the trait that made my Mom stand out, they would no doubt say she was a compulsive traveler.    It was once suggested, by a friend of the family, that when Cathy draws her last breath, she should be buried in her Corvair, which she loved dearly.

Yes, I am a traveler and will travel until I can no longer keep the vehicle within the lanes for which it was designed, but I also must admit that I also inherited a trait of my mom's that I wish she would have  been selfish and kept to herself.  She was hyper,  even bordering on driving herself and the rest of the family to the loony bin. 

As a child growing up  I vowed to never to allow myself be like my mom   I guarded against it all my life even though I choose two professions known for driving folks to the loony bin.   Air Traffic Control was not designed for the hyper-at-heart, nor was developing and being exulted  ruler of a facility that provided services to a whole barn-full of  unpredictable kids, who also had a tendency to be a wee bit loony at times.
 
There is a saying that misery loves company. I do not find that to be true.  When my anxiety level goes off the meter,  I want to keep it all to myself.   I have pondered a question, which runs through my computer banks each time my anxiety level hits tilt, and would ask you this morning;.  Is anxiety a lack of faith? Or is it a part of our natural bent? 

This I have learned in my seventy-nine years of traversing this life, there is a heap of folks out there who deal with anxiety problems most days of their lives.  As a matter of fact Luke suggested it would be a malady especially prevalent in the last days.  He wrote, "That men will faint from fear". (21:26)

Sooooo,  good friends, I have also learned that in dealing with anxiety is like dealing with a set of scales.  I tend to feel a little like Paul when he ask the Lord to remove the thorn in his flesh.  God said, "My grace is sufficient  for you, for power is perfected in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9a).   When I feel anxiety is tipping the scales in the negative, I check my input meter and make sure my dependence is on the King of kings and Lord of lords,  and not on the person I see in the mirror.. 
 
Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment