Monday, October 15, 2012

What Does Your Blah Meter Register This Morning?


"Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. (John 14:15-16).

Hey Gang: Yes, I know it's true but there are times when I need to find a well pit someplace and get off myself with the Lord and allow Him to check my pulse.  God woke me up this morning and said, "Hey, dude, you are sleep walking?  You are spending far too much time attending to the woes of the world and not enough as a solver of those woes.   

I think our pastor looked into my eyes and retreated to his study to construct his morning message. It was designed to hit me between the eyes.  His opening comment moved me from somewhere out in the hinter lands to the reality of where I am.  He gave several illustrations of people that sleep walk.  He could have left it there but he added "..and that is where many Christians are today."


Ya know, as I see everything that can be shaken being shaken, I have allowed a subtle enemy to invade my heart and mind - it is called the "blahs".  The media  spews forth the every widening river of news that the sky is falling, the world is up to its armpits in alligators, and it just does not seem to matter what comes out of the Beltway it is doom and gloom.

As I was driving down the highway several days ago, my mind in neutral, I was awakened by a statement made by someone who seemed to have some common sense.  Now I admit, when listening to the media that sort of thing is hard to come by.  He was addressing the question of "Why do people who cross the Belt Way Boundaries seem to leave their wisdom at home?  

He answered that question with a question of his own "where does wisdom come from?"  He then quoted the second wisest man who ever walked the earth, One King Solomon (we all know that Jesus was the wisest):  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge...For the Lord gives wisdom" (1:7,2:6)   His conclusion, perhaps there are not very many Believers in our Nation's Capitol anymore.
But, then again, that would be judging, and Jesus gave this warning to His children: "If we judge others we will be judged "IN THE SAME MEASURE" (Matt. 7:1)  I seem to recollect there is verse or two in the Word about stones and glass houses. 

 Getting back to the subject of the morning message, after the service ended I had occasion to talk to several of my spiritual brothers and sisters and each mentioned a similar malady that they deal with in their walk with the Lord.  

Soooo,  to all of you who find yourselves seeking a well pit to reconnect with the Lord, let me share a verse that seems to work for me.  It is found in Paul's letter to his spiritually adopted son, Timothy,  he wrote, "For God does not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." (2 Tim. 1:7).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment