Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Ain't Worth Much




"My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes have seen my unformed substance and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me when as yet there was not one of them.  How precious also are Your thought to me, O God!  How vast is the sum of them!  If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand.  When I awake, I am still with You." (Psa. 139:15-18).

Hey Gang:  An old salt, after listening to an oratorical gem presented by the young man with the PhD, said, "I would like to buy that young man for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth!" 

The older I get the more amazed I become with man's determination to try and drive square pegs into round holes.   Some years ago I read an article about a man who had smoked most of his life which resulted in surgery  on his throat due to cancer .  A tracheotomy, which is an artificial breathing hole, was installed.   But did it stop him from doing the very thing that caused the need for radical surgery, not in your sweet bippy, he learned how to insert the weed into the trach.

My old garden tractor had a malady; each time I used it I had to get out the air compressor and fill the right front tire with air.   Now, I hate to admit it, but I did that for more than a year before I just plain got ticked off at that stupid tire.  But, was it the stupid tire or the stupid operator?  I tend to think it was the laziness of the operator.  I solved the problem, I got rid of the tractor.  Not because of the tire, but because it, like the operator, had run out of its vim  and vigor,

In my tenure as a counselor in a juvenile hall I wanted the boys to teach me. I often asked the repeat offenders, especially, those who had spent time in one of our better juvenile prisons, 'Why did you choose to go down the same road when you knew what was at the end of the road?'  I received many replies but none made much sense.

I think I heard someone say, "We are creatures of habit".  Paul wrote in his letter to his adopted spiritual son, Timothy, "Men will learn but not come to the knowledge of the truth".  The Plain People, the Amish, have a saying "Knowledge is the power of the mind, Wisdom is the power of the soul".  They also say, "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

 Notice Jeremiah's words, "For I know the plans that I have for you declares the Lord, Plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart".  (29:11-13)  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6).

Soooo my lads and lassies, God's Word is filled with promises that are ours in Christ Jesus.  None is more pertinent for us as we walk this earth than this promise from Jesus,  "The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." (John 14:26) 

 Blessings

 Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment