Monday, October 8, 2012

Who Is In Charge?




"Now the word of the Lord came to me saying "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you".  (Jer. 1:4)

Hey Gang: The last two morning messages have focused on "Not becoming set in  our walk with the Lord.   Keep in mind that God is the Potter and we are the clay and our walk through this life is one of His hammering and sawing and making us into the image of His Son.

I recently listened to the woes of a young lady that is going through the "I wonder what path God would have me take?" syndrome.  Have you ever been there?  I certainly have.  When we were moving to Michigan and driving over the Rocky Mountains in a driving snow storm, I  wondered if I had listened to God. 

But one of the greatest lessons I learned, in those early days of learning, was 'Not to allow myself to become too comfortable.' God knows how to close doors.   Remember the story of the rich guy who went on a journey and gave three of his employees stipends?  He expected  the employees to put them to good use and make him a few bucks.  The first doubled his money, as did the second, but the third put his stipend in a bucket and hid it out in the barn yard. 

We know the end of that story - the rich guy was really bummed out.  Ya know, I think there are a lot of miserable people in our world who that are like that dude who put his stipend in a bucket and hid it in the barn yard when God had wired him for success in planting seeds for Him.

 Notice Jeremiah did not pick and choose who God had plans for.  Notice his words in 29:11-13: "For I know the plans that I have for you declares the Lord, Plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart". 

So much for the 'bucket in the barn yard'.  In my conversation with the young lady mentioned above, I detected a malady that seems to be prevalent in the 'I am waiting for God to move me' crowd - they have a longing in their heart to be something special in God's sight but just do not have a good understanding of Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." 

Sooooo,  let me share a word of caution that Solomon wrote in the Proverbs, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."  (Pro. 3:5-6). Also, take heed of what Paul had to say about the dude with bucket,  "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus" (Phil. 1:6).  But, you gotta pray and test the waters - until you find the niche God has for you..

Blessings,

 Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment