Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Saga of the Chainsaw


"I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders.  I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. When my enemies turn back, they stumble and perish before You....The Lord also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, A stronghold in times of trouble; And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, For You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You"  (Psa. 9:1-2, 9-10).

Hey Gang:  Something exciting is about to happen!  How do I know that, because God has shown me clearly throughout my lifetime that when the clinkers begin to pile up and the alligators begin to nip at my backside, He is preparing to move me up a  notch in my walk with Him. 

Years ago I was privileged to sit under the teaching of Bob Mumford, an old country preacher - teacher.  He used an illustration of folks who have a tendency to do  some sleep walking in the their walk with the Lord. He called it "God's chainsaw growth experience".  




His illustration: When we come into a new revelation of the Word or teaching and it  increases our faith, he compared it to struggling to climb a tree.  After painfully reaching the first limb we feel so good and so comfortable that we decide we will make our home there and remain forever. (Remember a few weeks ago the morning messages centered on "Don't get to comfortable"?).

Then one day God comes by with His chain saw and lops off the limb.  Your choice! Do a half gainer to the ground and land in a heap or  grab frantically for the next higher limb.  When, with a sigh of relief we  are safe and secure on the limb we look around and decide this is where we will spend the rest of our spiritual walk.

Now, you can guess what the rest of the story., God refuels His chainsaw and returns time and again in an attempt to get us out of sleep- walking blah stage.  Oh, by the way, the children of Israel learned that God does lose patience and cuts the entire tree down, as He did many times "with His Chosen People".

Soooo, As I mentioned above, something exciting must be going to happen because we are seeing an abundance of the Peter principle (If it can go wrong it will) around our house.   Or maybe God has his chain saw out and is sending a message -  it is time to "wake up" and give thanks to the Lord with all my heart, tell other of all His wonders,.  be glad and exult the Lord and sing praise to His name, O Most High.

I think I will do so me climbing today.  How about you?

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment